Nine young members of the Borough Improvement League, finding daytime meetings difficult to attend met in December 1959 to discuss the possibility of forming an evening division. Thirty-four women started the Evening Department of the Borough Improvement League.
In 1981, the official name for the Club became the Metuchen Edison Women's Club. The Club achieved recognition in competitions each year and their recognition for serving the community grew.
Our members help support the arts, preserve natural resources, promote education, encourage healthy lifestyles, and civic improvement. We supported: The Lakeview School, NAMI-NJ, CASA-NJ, Emmanuel Cancer Foundation, Edison Municipal Alliance, Adopt a Solider, local food banks, Veterans Hospitals, Veterans Operation Yellow Stocking, Operation Chillout, the Metuchen Memorial Park, First Aid Squads, Animal Shelters, provided Scholarships, and will continue to meet the needs of the community.
We meet socially for lunch, dinner, trips to shows, and other fun activities. We have a Mahjongg Club, Knitting Club, Book Club...more! We are friends you haven't met yet.
As a club in the New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs of GFWC we are also part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC); founded in 1890. GFWC with nearly 80,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state, the District of Columbia, and more than a dozen countries.
Founded in 1894, the New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs of GFWC (NJSFWC), provides opportunities for education, leadership training, and community service through participation in local clubs, enabling members to make a difference in the lives of others, one project at a time.